How to Write Scannable Content to Retain Readers Attention.
One of the challenges of this age of abundance and overflow of information is that people no longer consume and absorb information like they used to. People pass through your blog, but they do not stop to read your content. It’s the harsh truth but the truth nonetheless.
With the plethora of social mediums and the constant distractions that we have these days, the attention span of the audience keeps reducing because we are all in a hurry.
We are all racing to churn out more posts and keep up with the pace. There are a thousand things beckoning for people’s attention.
This raises the bar for you as a communicator to find effective means of communicating and retaining any reader’s attention (they scan through – only few would read an entire paragraph).
Tips to help keep the attention of skimmers and the hurried gentry.
- Keep your blog posts brief and sweet: 300 – 750 words
- Break your contents into chunks and use sub-headings. This way they can skim from one slot to the other seamlessly.
- Keep your paragraphs between 3 – 4 lines. Space them out.
- Use bullet or numbered points. It creates an impression of efficiency – skimmers are efficient with their time – and it’s fun to read.
- Create list posts. They go straight to the point.
- Use your formatting options effectively and sensibly. Your bold and italics to highlight succinct points.
- Don’t write your posts in 50 shades of different colours. It’s disturbing to the eye’s and too distracting.
- Make your posts conversational. Let it flow as if you are having a chat with your friends. It’s not the Daily news that is serious and dour.
- Add clickable related links to your posts – old posts that’s worth a second eyeballing due to their great content.
- Encourage discussion Phrase your sentences in such a way that offers the invitation to take part.
- Shake things up. Now and again, write in long-form – 1,000 words upwards – and write posts that illuminate, disturb or provoke thought.
Check this link for more blog tips.
Content, Effective, Attention, Retain, Audience, Scannable, Blog Tips, Skimming, Social Media Strategy